How to Create Your Own Website from Scratch
A website is a great tool for a new business. However, it can be a pricey investment and so a lot of new business owners hold off in order to save money. A website does not have to be super expensive or done by someone else. I used to have a website company and charge thousands of dollars for websites. In depth websites are worth paying someone else to do. However, you can set up a simple one page website that gives your business credibility and also visibility for much less than thousands of dollars.
Today, I want to walk you through the process of registering a domain name and getting website hosting as a way to share the love. I have had many people invest in me and I hope this post helps you. After you get the website name purchased and the hosting all in order you will want to install or have SiteGround install WordPress for you. (aff) Once you have WordPress installed setting up a one page site is simple. I am happy to walk you through that once you have followed the steps below.
If that part makes you nervous please reach out and I will help you. Seriously.
- Decide on domain name/website name and make sure it is available.
- Decide on hosting plan with SiteGround
- Register domain name on page after selecting hosting plan
- Have SiteGround customer support install WordPress on your website
- They will ask you for a username and password of your choice so have one ready 🙂
- Once WordPress has been installed login at www.yoursitename.com/wp-admin
- There should be a set up process you walk through (picking plugins and a theme – add what you want – you can always delete or add more later)
- Go to “Pages” on the left and create your first page the publish or preview it on the right by clicking “publish” or “preview” (you can and should also click “save draft” often!)
First thing is figuring out your website address aka the domain name.
Questions to ask yourself during this process:
- What would you like your business name to be?
- Make a list of possible business names and pick the one you like the best.
- Is that domain name taken? (search on godaddy.com to check availability)
- If it is, try another one from your list.
- Continue this process until you find one you want to purchase
I am happy to help you brainstorm about your domain name! Seriously. Just reach out.
These are the 3 plan options from SiteGround. I think the startup plan is great for 1 domain. If you plan on having more than one website I would get the GrowBig plan. If you are concerned with traffic and want to make sure your website can handle a lot of traffic at once I would suggest the GoGeek plan.
The StartUp plan is perfect for people with one website that are starting now.
The GrowBig plan is a great value for money offer, including the option for multiple websites and the SuperCacher that greatly improves a WordPress website speed.
The GoGeek plan is perfect for people with e-commerce and larger sites, or more geeky development needs like staging and GIT integration. Click my affiliate link below to pick your plan and get your website online today!
Click here to pick your plan!
You can register your domain name (website address) on the next page. Once you click “get started” the next screen is where you can register your domain. In the “ENTER DOMAIN” put the website name you came up with earlier and then scroll down and select the button to continue.
Once you have checked out and are the proud new owner of a domain name (cheers from the crowd!!!) you (with my help if needed) can move on to having WordPress installed on your website server. I like to chat with SiteGround to get this done. It is just easier that way and I am paying